Okay, blogger newbie mistake.
This was one of my FIRST blog posts, and as a new super excited and eager blogger, I originally combined two of my fall recipes in one post. Who thought that was a good idea?
Since this was one of my most requested recipes, I decided to bite the bullet and make it one individual blog post.
This particular recipe makes plenty of food, it’s incredibly easy and so many variations can be made. We have substituted the okra for Brussels sprouts and the sweet potatoes for butternut squash, but really, anything works. I will be the first one to tell you I am not a huge sausage fan, but Opa’s sausage is my one exception. Because the sausage is so flavorful, I only have to minimally season the vegetables, and that kind of simplicity is what I live for! Check out the recipe below.
Sausage Veggie Bake
8 links of your favorite sausage (I strongly recommend using Opa’s Jalapeno & Cheese Sausage- you can find it at Central Market)
2 lbs of Okra (We have also used Brussels Sprouts before)
1 Butternut Squash (We have used sweet potatoes too)
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven for 400 degrees
- Microwave the butternut squash for 30 seconds to make it tender
- Peel and dice the squash and place it evenly on a baking pan (the smaller the dices, the better)
- Drizzle the olive oil, and sprinkle some salt and pepper on the diced butternut squash-Put it in the oven for about 15 minutes
- While the butternut squash is cooking, dice the okra and slice the sausage.
- When the butternut squash (or sweet potatoes) are done, evenly place the sausage and the okra on the pan. I typically put a little more salt and pepper for the okra, but the sausage does most of the work for the flavor.
- Let the bake cook for about 20 minutes, mix it around, and then let it cook for about 25 more minutes.
- If you like sausage crispy, you can cook it for longer.